Nephrology services at JIPMER were offered by the Department of General Medicine from 1980s. Dr S. Chandrasekhar, Professor of Medicine (Retd.) and Dr Altaf Basha were the early pioneers of the division of Nephrology at JIPMER. A Nephrology Clinic functioned on Friday afternoons. Hemodialysis was offered to patients with Acute Kidney Injury, as well as on emergency basis for patients with Chronic Kidney Disease. Kidney biopsies were being performed.
The independent department of Nephrology at JIPMER was established in January 2010, under the stewardship of Prof R. P. Swaminathan, with the recruitment of an assistant professor of Nephrology - Dr Sreejith Parameswaran. The dialysis unit was shifted to the new premises in the Super Specialty Block and Nephrology OP Clinic was expanded into a regular, full time OP service. The new department has made rapid strides in establishing and expanding Nephrology patient care services at JIPMER.
Important mile stones :
- April 2010- Dedicated Nephrology inpatient services started
- May 2010 - Therapeutic Plasma Exchange using plasmafilter started
- May 2010 - Sustained Low Efficiency Dialysis (SLED) for hemodynamically unstable patients requiring dialysis treatment started
- July 2010 - Started BSc Allied Medical Sciences - Dialysis Technology (BSc AMS DT) course for training dialysis technicians
- September 2010 - Renal Pathology Service including Immunofluorescence staining started by Department of Pathology, JIPMER
- October 2010 - Recruited three additional dialysis technicians
- November 2010 - Started 'Glomerular Diseases Clinic' on Mondays, along with the second OP clinic for Nephrology Dept
- 6th January 2011 - Started a Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD) program where the catheter is placed at the bedside by the Nephrologist
- February 2011 - Formulated the 'Practical Protocols for Living Donor Kidney Transplantation' - the JIPMER Protocol for living donor kidney transplantation
- March 2011 - Inspection of facilities at JIPMER for performing kidney transplantation by the committee appointed by the Director General of Health Services (DGHS), New Delhi
- April 2011 - JIPMER given approval to perform kidney transplantation and registered for the same
- June 2011 - Dr P. S. Priyamvada, joined the department as Assistant Professor
- August 2011 - Started performing Charcoal Hemoperfusion for treatment of patients with poisoning and drug overdose
- October 2011 - Mr A. K. Saravanan, Dialysis Technician, appointed as Transplant coordinator
- 3rd March 2012 - Performed first living donor kidney transplantation at JIPMER
- March 2012 - Formulated curriculum and syllabus for D.M. Nephrology training course
- August 2012 - D. M. Nephrology training program started at JIPMER, with an annual intake of two candidates
- January 2013 - Established formal collaboration with the Division of Nephrology, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, USA, under the Sister Renal Center Program (SRC Program) of the International Society of Nephrology.
- November 2013 - Installed 8 more haemodialysis machines bringing the total number of machines to twelve
- December 2013 (5th & 7th) - Started Deceased Donor Kidney Transplantation Program in Pondicherry. The first organ harvesting & transplantation was performed on 5th December 2013, followed by harvesting and transplantation from a second brain dead donor on 7th December 2013.
- May 2014 - Started Nephrology Subspeciality Follow up Clinics - Glomerular Disease Clinic (Monday), Dialysis Clinic (Wednesday), Kidney Transplantation Clinic (Thursday)
- June 2014 - "Project Jeevan", in Collaboration with Rotary Club, Pondicherry Beach Town. The Rotary Club of Pondicherry Beach Town, in collaboration with Rotary Club, Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, USA, raised funds and donated FOUR brand new Hemodialysis machines to JIPMER, thus expanding the number of dialysis machines at JIPMER to a total of sixteen.
- March 2015 - Dr Satish Haridasan joined the Dept as Assistant Professor
- D. M. Nephrology - Two candidates per year, starting August 2012
- BSc AMS DT - Four candidates per year, Starting July 2010
- Rotation of Residents from - Medicine, Pediatrics, Physiology, Anesthesia (Critical Care Fellow)
Regular Academic Program:
- Dialysis Meeting - Once a week (Tuesday)
- Nephro-Uro Kidney Transplantation Meeting - Once a week (Wednesday)
- Bedside Case Discussion - Once a week (Thursday)
- Journal Club - Once a week (Saturday)
- Seminar - Once in two weeks (Monday)
- Morbidity & Mortality Meeting - Once in two weeks (Monday)
- Renalpathology Combined Rounds - Once in Two weeks (Wednesday)
Contributions from JIPMER Alumni:
JIPMER has vibrant and proactive alumni all over the world, who maintain strong bonds with their alma mater. The dept of Nephrology was fortunate enough to benefit from the contributions and collaboration from two distinguished alumni, both Nephrologists in the USA.
Dr Jai Radhakrishnan, Professor of Medicine and Associate Division Chief for Clinical Affairs, Division of Nephrology, Columbia University Medical Center, New York has made significant contributions in designing curriculum for D.M. Nephrology at JIPMER, in designing research projects, and actively participates in CMEs and Symposia organized by the dept of Nephrology, JIPMER. The official collaboration between JIPMER and Columbia University under the Sister Renal Center Program of the International Society of Nephrology was established with Dr Radhakrishnan serving the key contact person at Columbia University and Dr Sreejith Parameswaran as the key contact person at JIPMER.
Dr Rajiv Saran, Professor of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Associate Director, University of Michigan Kidney Epidemiology and Cost Center (UM-KECC), Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, and immediate past president, JIPMER Alumni Association of North America (JAANA), with his keen interest in Clinical Epidemiology, is actively involved with research projects at JIPMER, has been instrumental in taking research done in JIPMER to international conferences and fora. Dr Saran actively participates in CMEs and Symposia organized by the dept of Nephrology and is involved with the JIPMER International School of Public Health.
Academic Events Organized by the Dept of Nephrology:
- 21st January 2011 : CME on Glomerular Diseases
- 29th August 2011 : CME on Brain Death and Organ Donation Awareness for the state of Pondicherry, ‘Samsaara – The Circle of Life’ in collaboration with Department of Health & family welfare and MOHAN foundation
- 2nd November 2011 : JIPMER Scientific Society Meeting, with guest lecture by Dr Jai Radhakrishnan on ‘The epidemic of Diabetic Kidney Disease – what can we do?’
- 06th March 2012 : "From Despair to Hope" - Symposium on Preventive Nephrology, with Dr Rajiv Saran as the main faculty and chief guest.
- 14th March 2013 : World Kidney Day Celebration and CME on 'Acute Kidney Injury', released video documentary on successful CAPD program among underprivileged patient population created by dept of Nephrology - 'Azhagiya Ulagil Sila Saadhnai Natchathirangal' (Achievers in a Beautiful world)
- 24th September 2013 : JIPMER Nephrology Update 2013 - Hypertension, one day CME on Hypertension, endorsed & funded by Indian Society of Nephrology, Supported by the Educational Ambassador Program of the International Society of Nephrology and Accredited by Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University as Category II CME Program.
- 5th October 2014 : Nephrology Update 2014 - Kidney Transplantation,One day CME on Kidney Transplantation, organized in collaboration with Dept of Nephrology, Madras Medical College and Chennai, Columbia University, New York, USA, and Supported by the International Society of Nephrology's Educational Ambassador Program.
- 15th November 2015 : Nephrology Update 2015 - Critical Care Nephrology, One day CME on Critical Care Nephrology, Organized in collaboration with Division of Nephrology, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, USA and supported by the International Society of Nephrology's Educational Ambassador Program and Sister Renal Center Program.
- 9th March 2016 : World Kidney Day 2016 - "Kidney Disease and Children - Act Early to Prevent it", Half day CME was organized on 'Childhood Kidney Diseases'