The origin of Department of Oto-Rhinolaryngology & Head Neck Surgery dates back to November 1956 when Ecole De Medicine De Pondicherry established in 1823 (maintained by the French Government) was taken over by Government of India. Dr. O.P. Gupta (retired as Professor of ENT, BHU Varanasi) was the first Head of the Department followed by Dr.Hullgol of Bombay University. Dr. P.B. Rao, M.S., FRCS, became Professor and Head of ENT Department in 1965 during which period the microsurgery of the ear and larynx were undertaken with highly gratifying results. Prof. K.L. Sawhney took up the reign after him followed by other eminent professors, who started all types of major Head & Neck surgeries for malignancies of the upper airway and anterior skull base surgery .
The Department has been doing Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (Video Monitored) from 1995 with excellent results. The Department has been using Microdebriders/ Tissue shaver in the Functional Endoscopic sinus surgery since 1999. The Audiology Section is equipped with GSI 33 & GSI 61 Audiometers from 1996. The sophisticated BERA and OAE have been installed in the Department from the year 1998 to facilitate enhanced audiological evaluation.
During the 2nd phase of expansion of the hospital the department of ENT has obtained new equipment including LASERs, Image-guided surgery, HD Endoscopic camera with recording capability, VEMP. Electronystagmogram, Operating microscopes, Balloon sinoplasty and Harmonic Scalpel.
The department plans to acquire Sialendoscopy system and Piezosurgery in the near future. For the training of faculty and residents in cochlear implantation, the department is in the process of setting up a temporal bone lab. To detect hearing loss in newborn children the department, a system of universal screening for deafness for all newborn is available from 2015. The department has successfully completed a near total of 50 cochlear implants.
Voice clinic, audiovestibular clinic and pediatric deafness clinic is planned for the end of this year.