Dr. A. Velou was the founder of the department (1960-1968) followed by Dr. Sardari Lal (1968-1969), Dr. B.M.S. Bedi (1970-1972), Dr. B.R. Garg (1972-1973), Dr. Sardari Lal (1973-1982), Dr. B.R. Garg (1982-1996) and Dr. D.M. Thappa (1996 onwards). The M.D. degree course in Dermatology, Venereology & Leprosy (3 candidates per year) was started in the year 1973 and in 1986 Diploma in Leprosy (2 candidates each year) was introduced. From 2010, Diploma in Leprosy (which was earlier converted into Diploma in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy) was abolished and all the five postgraduate course seats were changed to MD degree course in Dermatology, Venereology & Leprosy.
The department has the distinction of having editors from here for various journals. Indian Journal of Sexually Transmitted Disease had its first Editor Dr. Sardari Lal (1980-1991). Dr. D.M. Thappa, had been the Editor of Indian Journal of Paediatric Dermatology from 2004-2009. From 2009 onwards Dr. D.M. Thappa has become the Editor of Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology. He is also an author and editor of three books –
- Textbook of Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology,
- Essentials in Dermatology with MCQs
- Clinical Paediatric Dermatology
The department has expanded since its inception and diversified its activities with leprosy clinic established in 1964 and STD clinic established in 1973. Dermatosurgery was introduced for the first time in the year 1996. The Department has been active in the conduct of various workshops/ conferences –
- W.H.O. sponsored workshop to train teachers of Leprosy Training Centres, 1978
- W.H.O. sponsored workshop in Leprosy, 1979
- W.H.O. workshop on Epidemiology and control of Leprosy, 1st-7th December 1981
- V National Conference of Indian Association of Study of Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 1981.
- Symposium on Continued Medical Education on S.T.D., 1981
- 6th South Zone Conference of Indian Association of Dermatologists, Venereologists & Leprologists, 13th -15th September, 1996.
- 13th South Zone Conference of Indian Association of Dermatologists, Venereologists and Leprologists, 25th-16th September, 2004.