Department of Biochemistry, JIPMER was established in the year 1957. The first officers of the department were Dr. Mademoiselle D. Labie and Dr. M. K. Ramanathan, Reader. The teaching programmes of the department were commenced as follows: MBBS (1957); BSc [MLT] (1975); MD [Biochemistry] (1965); MSc [Medical Biochemistry] (1965); and Ph.D. (1964). Investigations in the clinical biochemistry laboratory were started in 1965. At present department is located in the II floor of JIPMER Academic Center
At present, the department has 2 Senior Professors, 1 Professor, 2 Associate Professors, 4 Assistant Professors, 1 Lecturer and 5 senior residents. The department faculties have got extramural grants to form ICMR, DST and DBT and intramural grants from the institute and more than 150 publications in National /International journals.
The department has got 3 laboratories (30 B, SSB, EMS). Quality control programme was done using external QC from CMC Vellore